The PowHerNY Equal Pay Campaign represents a thirty year fight to reform New York’s equal pay laws and policies. Inspired by a court decision in the mid 1980’s, advocates have collaborated to advance what became known as the NYS Fair Pay Act, first passed in the Assembly in 2002 with the help of the NYS Pay Equity Coalition (NYSPEC). More recently the Equal Pay Coalition NYC championed this cause and made significant gains and measurable progress.
To create a stronger voice for wage equality, the Equal Pay Coalition NYC and PowHer NY joined forces in 2014 to expand our public education and policy reform campaign. This statewide network of over 50 civic groups, in coordination with other state and national coalitions, is proud to have been the driving force in the passage of the NY Equal Pay Bill (A6075/S1) in April 2015!
PowHerNY Equal Pay Campaign actively continues its push for pay fairness in our country, state, and every municipality. Be part of the PowHer NY Equal Pay Campaign by contacting Beverly Neufeld or Abby Grimshaw at firstname.lastname@example.org and sign-up for updates and actions.
Equal Pay Campaign Highlights
- National Equal Pay Day, which falls in April, is now celebrated across New York due to the leadership of the Equal Pay Campaign. This observation is a central organizing tool for public education, media coverage, network development, and expanded advocacy efforts.
- 2007: Inaugural NYC Equal Pay Day observed with rally and press conference in NYC.
- 2008: Rally and NYC Council Hearing on Equal Pay and press conference.
- 2009: FAIR PAY: THE TIME IS NOW! forum at Hunter College including national advocates Lilly Ledbetter and Ellen Bravo, interviewed by Maria Hinojosa.
- 2010: FAIR PAY: THE TIME IS NOW! forum at Baruch College including Former Lieutenant Governor Evelyn Murphy, WAGE Project
- 2011: Equal Pay Day Panel and report release by NYC Comptroller on pay equity in NYC municipal workforce.
- 2012 Equal Pay Day Forum at NYU Law School with Maria Hinojosa interviewing Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
- 2013: NYS Women’s Equality Act Education Day and press conference in NYC and Albany
- 2014: New York State Equal Pay Week featuring events in every region of New York, Letters to the Editor project across NY, press conferences across NYS and with NYC Council Speaker, Public Advocate & Council members
- 2015: Equal Pay Day – April 14 NYC Rally and statewide activities in support of A6075/S1 and New York policy reform
Advocacy and Governmental Focus:
- Principal force behind Equal Pay Resolutions and Proclamations across NYS calling for passage of the NYS Fair Pay Act and federal equal pay laws;
- NYC Mayoral Candidate Questionnaires in 2009 and 2013 on economic equity issues for women which was used in other NYS cities;
- Working with Public Advocate and Comptroller, promoting equal pay policies in NYC, including Gender Equity in the New York City Municipal Workforce report, April 2011
- Partner in national effort to pass the Lilly Ledbetter Act and member of the national coalition to promote the federal Paycheck Fairness Act;
- Force behind passage of the 2012 NYS Women’s Workforce Bill;
- Lead organization behind Gov. Cuomo’s NYS 10 Point Women’s Equality Act’s Equal Pay provisions.
- Steering Committee member of the Women’s Equality Coalition
- 2015 passage of the New York Equal Pay Bill (A6075/S1)